Saturday, March 20, 2010

Ginger Snaps




First post! I'm giddy with excitement about what tumultuous fanfair this is starting.
I thought this was the perfect recipe to start with. After all, it was the first time I felt completely smitten with a recipe. I found the recipe off of allrecipes.com. I tend to use that site as a source for many of my recipes. You may think of ginger snaps as a holiday kind of cookie but I disagree. This cookie deserves more recognition than it gets and has become my personal every-day-kind-of-cookie. Take that chocolate chip! There's just something wonderfully wholesome about the mixture of spices-cinnamon, cloves, ginger-that makes this cookie special. This recipe is a keeper and is one I feel does not need to be tweeked in any way. The recipe is taken verbatim from allrecipes except for the honey. I added honey (thanks to my dad's beekeeping hobby) although the recipe calls for molasses. I researched that honey can be substituted cup for cup for molasses. I have made the recipe with molasses and I personally don't like the taste. I love this recipe...this is my new go-to cookie.

rolled dough, coated in sugar and ready for the oven

As adapted by Elaine on allrecipes.com
RECIPE:
Ingredients:
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup molasses (pure honey)
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/3 cup granulated sugar for decoration

directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the brown sugar, oil, molasses, and egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cloves, cinnamon, and ginger; stir into the molasses mixture. Roll dough into 1 1/4 inch balls. Roll each ball in white sugar before placing 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
  3. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in preheated oven, or until center is firm. Cool on wire racks.

Note: I rolled the dough into 1 1/2 inch balls. I baked them at 300 degrees for 15 minutes for a crispy cookie, and 13 minutes for a chewier cookie.

1 comment:

  1. You finally started your baking blog! :) Awesome first recipe.

    ReplyDelete